stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Sam Before Christmas

Once upon a long-ago Christmas, my beloved Sam the Cat wore a Santa hat and allowed me to take his photograph. Once.

And so, with a grateful nod and sincerest apologies to Clement Clark Moore, here is a festive version of that most memorable, once-in-a-lifetime, Samcat Christmas moment.

A Visit from Saint Sam-the-Cat 
 or  
The Sam Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house...
(We'll just leave out the next bit, but mention the mouse.)

                                  . . .

Down the hallway Sir Sam-the-Cat came with a bound:
He was dress'd all in fur, from his head to his foot,
His face and tail tarnish'd like ashes and soot;
He carried some catnip bundled up in a pack,
And he meowed as he gave it an almighty whack.

His eyes — how they twinkled! His ear tufts: how merry,
His muzzlepuffs bristled with whiskers so hairy.
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the hair on his chin was as white as the snow.

Santa Sam
In a deftly-quick move (while avoiding his teeth),
I stuck Santa's hat on Sam's head like a wreath.

His cute little nose, and his little round belly,
Did shake when he yowl'd, like a bowl full of jelly:

He looked chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laugh'd when I saw him in spite of myself;

But a blink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon wiped off my smile and filled me with dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And claw'd off the cap; then turn'd with a jerk,
And laying his paw alongside of my nose
And giving a pat (just a warning, I s'pose),
He sprang to his feet, made a hiss like a whistle,
And flew from the room, like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he dove out of sight —
Never try that again, if you know what is right.



...And I never did. ;-)

Thanks for reading, my friends. However you celebrate the season, may your days be merry and bright!


Permalink to this post: The Sam Before Christmas

stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:37 am, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

LOL! So priceless, Cheryl. :) Happy holidays to you and Sam and the rest of your family!

 
At 3:56 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

The is frigging brilliant Cheryl. I laughed all the way through it. At least you got the hat on once, as did I (in Jay's video). You really did a great job with this. Merry Christmas to you and Sam.

 
At 8:04 pm, Blogger Sandy Cody said...

Love it, Cheryl. Have a wonderful Christmas.

 
At 8:03 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thank you all for visiting - so glad we brought a wee Christmas smile. :-)

 
At 2:00 pm, Blogger Heidi said...

Wonderful! Wishing you and Jesse a very Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home