stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Sunday, December 31, 2006

fun with books (a meme)

This is a quick and easy meme but the results can be surprising. Seemed like an interesting way to wind up the year.

1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph.

Here's the compilation from my five choices...

The pull of clay is a mystery, until you have its gritty substance in your hands, feel it move, feel the lure of the red earth, the danger. "So how bad is this going to be?" I asked, gesturing toward Vivian's back as she scrambled up the stairs, the clasp on her giant handbag already open. "She delivered the baby all by herself." What had made him think that? He was willing to concede that Koko was not seeing stars when he gazed at the sky; he was seeing fuzzy green blobs.

Weird how they all flow together. Almost makes sense ... in a fuzzy green kinda way.

My five books were:

The Allegra Series by Barbara Lambert
Killer Insight by Victoria Laurie
The Featherbed by John Miller
Pilgrim by Timothy Findley
The Cat Who Saw Stars by Lilian Jackson Braun

What's on your book shelf?

Thanks to Joshilyn Jackson for passing this one on from The Daily Meme.

2 Comments:

At 1:54 am, Blogger Pamela said...

Hi Ostara,

Due to too many bookshelves in my small condo, I happen to have a stack of books that are awaiting their fate at the second hand bookstore, and came up with:

“A splendid afternoon to set out”!, said one of the friends who was seeing me off, peering at the rain and rolling up the window. I conceded that this might be a coincidence, but on the face of it, it looked much more like a conspiracy to me. “Rick, do you mean to tell me they’ve actually said yes?” The poor boys were caught- they had no escape. Give us a hug, Veronica, will yeh. I need a hug.

This comes from Patrick Leigh Fermor's A Time of Gifts, Roald Dahl's Switch Bitch, Robyn Davidson's Tracks, Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire, and Roddy Doyle's Barrytown Trilogy.

I also have William S Burrough's Naked Lunch in my collection and that's gunna go too. I think he also wrote a book, cut it up into little pieces, mixed 'em up, and pasted them together again in a book that makes no sense. I haven't got the strength for more than one paragraph of that!

Hope you have a great 2007!

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hey Pammie, thanks for joining the word-play.

I know exactly what you mean about book storage in small condos. Me too! I finally had to institute a one book in/one book out policy ... but that doesn't account for the keepers that regularly turn up to swell the ranks. I've resorted to stealing space in my son's sock drawer!

Hope your 2007 is wonderful, too. (I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home