stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

photos of 2015

Since retiring from The Day Job in May of 2015, I've tried to make a habit of carrying my camera wherever I go. As you might imagine, this has resulted in an ever-expanding photo library and plenty of story inspiration. Over the holidays, I took some time to look through all those images of people, places and beautiful things, and chose a few favourites to share. (Click to enlarge.)

Apple blossoms at Colonel Samuel Smith Park on Lake Ontario in Toronto. I love the way the focus "pops" on this one. And the colours of spring!

This male Mallard duck, kept a close eye on me as he paddled. I realized later that his mate was sleeping nearby, perfectly camouflaged by beach pebbles. I can't help but smile when I see those little orange feet and the reflected sparkle of sun-warmed water on his breast.  

Old man turtle found a sunny spot to lounge by the pond in the conservatory at Centennial Park in Toronto. Just look at that smug expression. Turtles play an important part in Rock Solid, so I'm a real sucker for a guy in a handsome shell.

This gorgeous blue heron was fishing in the Grand River in Cambridge, Ontario while I lunched with a friend at a riverside restaurant. He did eventually catch a little fish and gobble it down. Not far away, this fisher woman kept him company. She didn't seem to be having much luck, though. 

No filters on this photo - that's exactly how the river looked. Fast water and lots of reflection. I love the effect!

Lake Ontario at the Village of Wellington in Prince Edward County. A storm blew through the night before and remnant winds and waves made walking a bit wild. My favourite beach weather!

Purple mystery flowers. That's not botanical, it really is a mystery. If anyone can identify this lovely plant, please let me know in the comments. Not native to my part of the world, this was taken in the tropical house at Toronto's Centennial Park Conservatory. UPDATE, January 8, 2016: Thanks to blog visitor Bec and Facebook commenter Ian who identified this lovely plant as Duranta Sapphire Showers.

I snapped several photos of this handsome Ring-billed Gull at Long Branch Park in Toronto. I like the movement in this shot and call it "on patrol". He seems to be marching to his own drummer.

No collection of favourites would be complete without a portrait of himself, Sam the Cat. Here, he's intently focussed on something only he can see. Fierce concentration. (Spooky.)

Lake Ontario on a sunny winter day. I marvel at how swans, ducks and other water fowl seem so unruffled by cold. This photo captured a drop of water just as it fell from the swan's beak. Elegant profile.

Back to Centennial Park Conservatory for this last image from 2015. The Christmas flower show featured spectacular displays of poinsettias but my eye was drawn to this glorious candy cane amaryllis.

My photo goals for 2016 are (1) to seek the unusual and (2) to cultivate patience. The patience part will, I hope, result in a few more successful bird photos. Thus far, I've been mostly foiled by their tendency to watch me point and focus, then flit away (laughing) just as I click the shutter. Maybe I'll have more luck if I pick my spot and settle in quietly to wait and watch. Well... worth a try.

Wishing you a 2016 full of beautiful things.


Permalink to this post: photos of 2015

stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 10:48 am, Blogger Fran McNabb said...

Cheryl, love the pictures especially those of the river and, yes, the cat. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 10:56 am, Blogger Heidi said...

I love your photos and your observations. They made me chuckle and ooh and aah. :-)

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Loretta C. Rogers said...

I really like the photo of the man squatting, but all the pictures are lovely. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger Colleen said...

Beautiful shots, Cheryl. Love the swan. I agree--it is a puzzle to me how they can do so well in the cold too. Amazing creatures. Thanks for brightening my dull, winter morning! :O)

 
At 3:11 pm, Blogger Sandy Cody said...

Love these pictures - proof that we live on a beautiful planet.

 
At 6:12 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

The apple blossoms make me want spring!!!! And I'm a huge fan of duck pictures. In the spring, they stop at the pond at the back of the acreage and stay around till they have their littles ones and teach them to fly. I love watching them!

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Great pictures! My favorite - the male mallard duck.

 
At 5:38 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Great selection of photos and comments Cheryl. Cannot wait to see ones from 2016 when you have acquired "patience"! My favourites are, well, of course, Sam and the squatting fisherman. Happy clicking.

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger forgetmenot said...

The plant is Duranta Sapphire Showers

 
At 4:25 pm, Blogger Ruth Daly Author said...

These are great photos! I particularly like the one of fast flowing water/reflections, but they're all really good captures - too difficult to choose a favourite :)

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thank you all for visiting and taking time to leave such lovely comments - so glad you enjoyed my year of photos! Bec, many, many thanks for solving my mystery. Duranta Sapphire Showers is a beautiful name for a beautiful plant. Cheers!

 
At 1:03 pm, Blogger Cathy said...

Lovely photos especially the turtle.

 
At 9:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are just lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home