stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

It's May!


Instead of a story post this week, I'm sharing a few of my reasons for celebrating this merry month of May – the very best month of the year.

Lily-of-the-Valley blooms in May. It's always been my favourite flower, delicately beautiful and sweetly fragrant. In the language of flowers, lily-of-the-valley means "return of happiness" – the very definition of spring.


I was born in May, so my birthstone is the emerald, a glorious green and glowing crystal, considered the symbol of hope and love.


My mother's family name was May. Here's the clan in 1923, all looking a bit grim, no doubt because this photo was not taken in the merry month of May. My grandfather is the handsome fellow second from the right in the back row. (Bow ties are cool!) I can see myself in my grandfather's face. Grandma is seated directly in front of him, holding my Mom. 


In my part of the world, May means the end of a long winter and the return of balcony weather. Finally! Sam likes nothing better than watching birds, sniffing the breeze, and interrupting my reading every five minutes to open the door so he can go in… no, out… no, in… (Note to self: get a cat flap.)


This year, May marks the first anniversary of my retirement from The Day Job. A job which, much as I loved it, left precious little time for reading, writing, and long walks on the beach. I've spent an enjoyable year trying to catch up on all three but there are so many books and so many unwritten words … and the beaches! I shall soldier on.



This May also marks a full year of weekly Wednesday blogging and nearly a year of my every-other-week project, The Write Spot. It's been a good blogging year – a busy blogging year – so I've decided to take a break this week to relax, recharge, and concentrate on getting my favourite month off to a memorable start. Which begs the question: if I blog about why I'm not blogging does it still count as a blog? ;-)

I'll be back next Wednesday to share The Write Spot with Louisa Treger, author of the wonderful historical novel, The Lodger. If you haven't read it, you really, really should. (Here's my review.) 

Wishing you May flowers and sunshine … and May the Fourth be with you!



Permalink: It's May!



stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:37 am, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Cheryl, What a beautiful tribute to the month of May! Love the pictures!

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

Happy birthday, Cheryl!!!! Hope you had a wonderful celebration! A double celebration...or rather a triple one this month. Birthday, retirement, and mother's day. Wow, no wonder you love May!

Gorgeous pictures. Those Lily of the Valley are beautiful. What I really want to do, though, is join you on the beach with a great book in my hands. :)

 
At 2:00 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

And yes, blogging about not blogging is blogging. LOL! You go, girl!

 
At 3:41 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

So Many good reasons Cheryl, not the least of which is your birthday. Although, being partial to you know what, I do love that Sam gets to go outside on a regular basis and, yes, a cat flap might not be a bad idea! Not to you: Yes, this does count as a blog!

 
At 11:26 am, Blogger Sydell Voeller said...

I love May too--and it's also my birth month. We have lily-of-the-valley growing in our yard, and every year during its short blooming season, I'd bring inside a bouquet or two. Love the fragrance! Then this year I read that this flower is poisonous to cats. One of our kitties sometimes chews on plants--so now there are no longer any inside bouquets. (Our roses are doing wonderfully right now, so at least I can bring them inside.)

 
At 11:40 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, ladies! Hope you're all enjoying this wonderful month. I know I am! Happy May!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home