stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

cat wisdom...


Sam the Cat found me nearly fifteen years ago in a PetSmart store. I was there to buy birdseed. He was all alone in the cat enclosure. A yearling boycat with strange markings and a scarred ear, he was the only moggy still homeless after a week-long Humane Society adoption fest.

Our eyes met.

I smiled.

He meowed.

I crouched to say hello.

Yowling, he launched himself into my arms, his message crystal clear: "Get me out of here!"

I've been doing Sam's bidding ever since, and he has repaid me by sharing nuggets of catly wisdom. Here are just a few of the many lessons I've learned.


1. Be curious.

















2. Curiouser and curiouser.

















3. Eat healthy.

















4. Don't over-indulge. (Everything is good in moderation.)

















5. Comfortable shoes are best.

















6. Friends appreciate a helping hand. (They may not know it, but they do.)

















7. Be persistent.  (Persistence often pays off with a treat.)




















8. Get plenty of sleep.

















9. Remember to wash your behind your ears.

















10. Go outside!

















11. Stay warm.



12. We all need a little personal time. Savour it.

















13. Ponder the great mysteries of life.


14. Practice patience. It's not easy being green, but count to ten before you freak out over the stupid Kermit hat. (Then go ahead and freak out. People remember and will never try such a silly thing again.)

















15. Stretch often.

















16. Read widely.

















17. Appreciate your friends. (Hi, Jay!)


18. Play!


19. Think outside the box. Because, of course, the cat is in the box, so there's no room for you there. (This applies to all boxes.) (Also, always recycle.)


20. Enjoy life. Every little sunbeam is a gift.




















stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:20 am, Blogger Jillian Dagg said...

Lovely, Cheryl.

 
At 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great lessons! I just love watching cats play in/with boxes :)

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Simply delightful! Love your pictures :)

 
At 7:43 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Warning, Sam overload. Oh my, Cheryl, I cannot understand why no one had taken him yet. You were meant for each other. What a gorgeous boy he is and so wise to teach you so many things about life. I cannot choose my favourite photo (yes, of course I love #17!). Toss up between #20 and #8. Give your boy a rub from me and a big MEOW from his friend Jay.

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger Hema said...

This made me smile :) My toddler is a cat person and looks like we'll soon be getting a cat!

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thank you all! I'm glad people are enjoying Sam's life lessons. He's a wise old cat.

Hema, I'm so pleased to hear you'll soon be owned by a cat, too. Sam says to tell you, "rescue cats are best!" ;-)

 
At 2:32 am, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

Sam is so cute and wise. Now I know where you get all of your good advice, Cheryl. :)

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Kimmie said...

Delightful post. We could all learn a thing or tow from Sam :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home