stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Is it a bird?


What would you say if I asked you to name your favourite flower? I'm guessing many people would choose roses or daffodils, perhaps peonies or iris. My own choice, without a moment's hesitation, would be lily-of-the-valley. 

A good friend once surprised me by picking bird-of-paradise as their best-loved bloom. At the time, I wasn't sure I'd even heard of such a fabulous plant, let alone seen one. But that was before I moved to my west Toronto condo, a short trek away from Centennial Park and one of the city's loveliest conservatories. I walk there often. 

Last week, rounding a corner in the lush tropical house, I came face to face with this spectacular specimen.



Bird-of-Paradise (Strelitzia), also known as Crane Flower (you can see why!), is native to South Africa. Isn't it glorious? Almost as fierce and flamboyant as the friend who loves it!

So... what's your favourite flower?



Permalink: Is it a bird?



stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington




Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:27 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

I love Bird-of-Paradise! It's so unusual and tropical. Hmmm, let's see. My fav flower changes frequently. For the last couple of years, it's been coneflowers, particularly the rose shade. Oh, and Hydrangeas. Coneflowers planted beside the Hydrangeas. When they're both in bloom and the flowers intertwine, they are beautiful! I've added several of each to the flowerbeds this year.

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm a big fan of Coneflowers, too, Sheila - and they're good for honey bees! Some of the most glorious hydrangeas I've ever seen were at this same conservatory. Every year at Easter, they plant masses of them in the seasonal house, white, pink, and dark blue. With Easter lilies alongside, they look spectacular.

 
At 2:54 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Bird-of-Paradise is an incredibly beautiful flower that I have always loved. And of course I have to be a bit partial to a Black-Eyed Susan! I do love your choice as I do really like lily-of-the-valley. Great photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home