stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

retreat...



I've staked out some writing space at a friend's house this week, a quiet bungalow on a quiet street in a small and mostly quiet town. It's a very different atmosphere from my urban apartment where scarcely an hour passes without the wail of distant (and sometimes not-so-distant) sirens, and where my day is punctuated by the shrieks of kids at play in the schoolyard next door. Here, the only sound is an occasional rumble from the elderly furnace in the basement.

I am alone, relishing the solitude and feasting on the silence. I have a table, a chair, and a cup of hot coffee. My laptop is open and a fresh white page awaits. But I am not writing. I'm gazing out the window, watching a busy squirrel. She stops for a moment as if aware she's being watched. Then, with a twitch of her bushy tail, she's gone.


Brown and yellow leaves spin and tumble through the air, skip across the grass, and settle in drifts on the lawn. 

Across the yard, rainwater drips like tears from the gunwales of a long-abandoned canoe. What adventures does it remember? What rivers it has known? Does it miss the call of loons across some misty northern lake? I wonder...



Permalink: retreat...



stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

  


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:29 am, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

All that quiet and nature. Enjoy, Cheryl! Wishing you lots of words on the page!

 
At 1:54 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Sounds wonderful. I often think like you when I see something abandoned like that canoe. I wish I could know all the stories attached to it and how it was abandoned.

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

HI Cheryl, I could feel myself relaxing as I read this post. Great pictures!

 
At 7:15 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting, ladies. I am really enjoying the peace and quiet but so far doing a lot more window gazing (and catnapping) than writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home